World Roundup Apr 19
1 0 0 0
1. US VP Mike Pence says to North Korea: 'The sword stands ready' : From the wind-swept deck of a massive aircraft carrier, Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday warned North Korea not to test the resolve of the US military, promising it would make an "overwhelming and effective" response to any use of conventional or nuclear weapons.
2. United CEO says no one will be fired for dragging incident : The CEO of United Airlines says no one will be fired over the dragging of a man off a plane including himself.
3. US 'Facebook killer' takes own life after police chase : A US gunman accused of murdering an elderly grandfather and posting the footage on Facebook killed himself on Tuesday after a brief police chase, bringing to a close a frantic nationwide manhunt.
4. Female Ahmadi professor stabbed at home in Lahore : A woman Ahmadiprofessor was found stabbed to death in her house in the residential colony of Pakistan's top Punjab University(PU) in Lahore on Tuesday.
5. Mummies discovered in ancient tomb near Egypt's Luxor : Archaeologists have unearthed several mummies, colourful wooden sarcophagi and more than 1,000 funerary statues in a 3,500-year-old tomb near the city of Luxorhailed as an "important discovery".
6. 12 soldiers dead as Saudi helicopter crashes in Yemen : Twelve Saudi soldiers, including four officers, were killed on Tuesday when their helicopter went down in Yemen, the Arab coalition fighting Yemeni rebels said in a statement.
7. US won't rest until North Korea gives up nuclear weapons, Mike Pence says : The US will not relent until it achieves its objective of ensuring the Korean Peninsula is free of nuclear weapons, Vice President Mike Pence said Tuesday while visiting Japan.
8. Weapons found after France attack plot arrests : French authorities found guns and bomb-making materials Tuesday after the arrest of two men suspected of plotting an "imminent" attack in France, which is days from presidential polls, sources close to the probe said.
9. At least 26 dead as bus plunges into ravine in Philippines : At least 26 people died Tuesday when the bus they were traveling in apparently lost its brakes and plunged into a deep ravine in a northern Philippine mountain town, in one of the country's deadliest road accidents in years, officials said.
10. British PM May calls June 8 election, says needed to strengthen hand in divorce talks with EU : British Prime Minister Theresa May called on Tuesday for an early election on June 8, saying she needed to strengthen her hand in divorce talks with the European Unionby shoring up support for her Brexit plan.